Engineering Program Overview
The Akins Engineering program is at the center of the TEA designated Akins High School Texas-STEM Academy. The program incorporates the Project Lead the Way (PLTW) curriculum in addition to several dynamic after school student clubs. All of the engineering programs are housed within our STEM Academy.
The engineering sequence use curriculum from PLTW's Engineering and Biomedical Science programs. These programs are designed to use engineering, math, science, and technology to solve open-ended, complex problems.
The T-STEM Academy's 4 engineering pathways include:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Students have the opportunity to take the culminating capstone class, Project-Based Research in Biomedical Science where they have the opportunity to earn University of Texas credit
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering & Architecture
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Students in the three engineering pathways listed above have the opportunity to take the culminating project-based capstone class, Scientific Research & Design
The foundation courses for the Aerospace Engineering, Civil Engineering & Architecture, and Computer Integrated Manufacturing include:
- Introduction to Engineering Design
- Principles of Applied Engineering
- Engineering Science
- Digital Electronics - now an optional, but recommended course
The Biomedical Science program's foundation includes:
- Principles of Biomedical Sciences
- Human Body Systems
- Medical Interventions
For more information on the Project Lead the Way curriculum go to their website at www.pltw.org.