The Akins Engineering program is at the center of the TEA designated Akins High School T-STEM Academy. The program incorporates the Project Lead the Way (PLTW) curriculum in addition to several dynamic after school student clubs.
The engineering sequence use curriculum from PLTW's Engineering and Biomedical Science programs. These programs are designed to use engineering, math, science, and technology to solve open-ended, complex problems.
The T-STEM Academy's 4 engineering sequences include:
- Aerospace Engineering (AE)
- Biomedical Sciences Engineering (BSE)
- Civil Engineering & Architecture (CEA)
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM),
Many students take the culminating capstone course Engineering Design and Development (EDD).
The foundation courses for AE, CEA, and CIM include:
- Introduction to Engineering Design (IED)
- Principles of Engineering (POE)
- Digital Electronics (DE) - now an optional, but recommended course
The Biomedical Science program's foundation includes:
- Principles of Biomedical Sciences (PBS)
- Human Body Systems (HBS)
- Medical Interventions (MI)
- Biomedical Innovations (BI) course.
For more information on Project Lead the Way go to their website at www.pltw.org.