Welcome to the
Akins PAL® program page!
- PAL® recognizes an innate capacity for social understanding, personal wellbeing, and community participation within every student.
- PAL® nurtures and builds capacities to help youth develop protective factors helping them to achieve school and social successes which lead to a productive life.
- PAL® creates environments in which youth participate in productive pursuits with peers, utilizing skills they have learned like cultural competency, effective communication, decision making, higher order thinking skills, and resiliency building.
- PAL® students learn to change the idea of peer pressure to influence others positively and ultimately, they make a difference in the lives of others.
- Positive peer influence is utilized in PAL® as a central strategy for addressing issues like low achievement, at-risk youth, dropout prevention, substance abuse prevention, teen pregnancy, suicide, absenteeism, behavior problems, and other community issues.