Welcome to the Akins High School Correctional Services Internship (CSI) page. With a partnership with the Travis County Sheriff's Office, Akins students have the unique opportunity to go out to the Downtown Travis County Jail and the Travis County Correctional Complex in Del Valle to learn directly from current Correctional Officers. The goal of the Correctional Services Internship is to have the student ready for a career in Corrections by the time they graduate.
During the course, students will earn four certifications to take with them upon completion of the internship which include the following...
- Texas Municipal Jailer Certification
- Correctional Services Professional Certification
- Private Security Level II Certification
- Objective Jail Classification Certification
In the classroom, students will learn the following topics...
- Basic organizational models for municipal, county, state, or federal correctional facilities and the history of correctional services.
- Officer's role in maintaining order and safety along with professional standards and ethical responsibilities
- Issues related to human behavior and relations in a detention facility
- Methods of screening for and addressing injurious prisoner behavior
- Intake procedures for a detention facility
- Various inmate health care issues and processes
- Methods of providing various prisoner services
- Prisoner and facility security protocols
- Appropriate actions to take in emergency situations at a detention facility.
- Report-writing methods and courtroom procedures
- Situations requiring the use of force and the use of force continuum.
- Self-defense and defensive tactics
At the end of the internship the students will be career ready and will have a Professional Portfolio that will include the following...
- Professional Resume
- Four Industry Certification Certificates
- Letters of Recommendation from Industry Professionals
- Industry references
- Awards for Industry Skills Competitions
- Experience with Correctional Officer Tasks and Duties
Here are pictures of the student's on their first day at both the Downtown Travis County Jail and the Travis County Correctional Complex. At the Downtown Travis County Jail, the students received a tour of the non-operational section of the jail.
Here are pictures of the students giving back to the community through their volunteer work with National Night Out, Brown Santa, Blue Santa, and other events.
In December, the Akins Correctional Services Internship completed in their first ever Corrections specific Criminal Justice Competition. The Correctional Services Internship Competed in the TXPSTA Criminal Justice Competition specifically in the Category of Cell Extraction. Even with it being the first time in competition, the Interns not only won first place in the State of Texas but received a nearly perfect score. Here are some pictures of the win.