Akins Peer Tutoring Initiative
Welcome to the Akins Peer Tutoring Initiative!
This program is designed to connect students needing help with trained peer tutors who can assist them. We offer the following services to all Akins students:
- The ability to earn make-up attendance hours while receiving help
- Help from trained peer tutors with any English, Math, Science, or History class offered by Akins.
- Assistance is available after school Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:45-5:45, as well as in the morning on Saturdays from 9:00-12:00
Peer tutors are trained volunteers and current Akins students who teach and help students with current or make-up assignments. Tutors are trained to help students understand their assignments, find the resources that will help them, and guide them in overcoming academic challenges without doing the work for the student or telling them exactly what to do. The goal is to teach students to become more independent and confident leaners.
Questions, comments, or feedback? Please contact Ryan Thomas, Kirsti-Alvarez-Thomas, and Cecilia Gutierrez.
Ryan Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kirsti Alvarez-Thomas: email@example.com
Cecilia Gutierrez: firstname.lastname@example.org
How Do I Get Help from a Peer Tutor?
- Sign up for an appointment using the short appointment request google form below.
- The google form will provide you with the zoom meeting information for the day you select after you fill it out
- Note: If you have trouble accessing the form, go to portal.austinisd.org, open google drive from within the portal to sign in to your student google account, and then try again
- OR, you can join the Peer Tutoring Initiative Zoom as a drop-in. If you did not make an appointment in advance, that's okay. Complete the appointment request google form even while tutoring is ongoing that day, and then use the zoom link provided to join!
- Appointments are offered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:45-5:45, and Saturday from 9:00-12:00