Akins Peer Tutoring Initiative
Welcome to the Akins Peer Tutoring Initiative!
This program is designed to connect students needing help with trained peer tutors who can assist them. We offer the following services to all Akins students:
- The ability to earn make-up attendance hours while receiving help
- Help from trained peer tutors with any English, Math, Science, History, and many elective classes offered by Akins.
- Assistance is available after school Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:45-5:45 in the Akins Library.
- Tutoring services begin on October 12th, 2021
Peer tutors are trained volunteers and current Akins students who teach and help students with current or make-up assignments. Tutors are trained to help students understand their assignments, find the resources that will help them, and guide them in overcoming academic challenges without doing the work for the student or telling them exactly what to do. The goal is to teach students to become more independent and confident leaners.
Questions, comments, or feedback? Please contact Ryan Thomas.
Ryan Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org
How Do I Get Help from a Peer Tutor?
- Come to the library after school Mon-Thurs and complete the google sign-in form at the front of the library
- After completing the form, take a seat at the labeled waiting area and a tutor will be with you shortly
- Your tutor will introduce themselves and you can find a place to work together on whatever you need help with.