CIS at Akins High School
Communities In Schools of Central Texas is proud to support the
students, families, and staff of Akins High School!
At Communities In Schools of Central Texas, our mission is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. We partner with K-12 schools to provide a full time Communities In Schools staff person to work with students directly on campus, or remotely when campuses are closed.
We know that when students are hungry, tired, or preoccupied with worry, they cannot focus on learning. For students dealing with bullying, the effects of trauma, poverty, and other challenges, sometimes just showing up for class can be overwhelming.
This is where Communities In Schools comes in to complement the good work teachers and administrators are already doing. Our school-based staff work in partnership with teachers and school administration to identify and address challenges students face in school or at home. These may range from immediate needs like clothing and food to more complex needs like counseling and mentoring.
Communities In Schools Services At Akins High School Include:
- In person & virtual services available tailored to each student and family's needs
- Basic needs assistance for students & their families
- Re-engagement support to help students transition into virtual or in-person learning
- Individual counseling services - focus on 9th grade students
- Group counseling services including 9th grade transition support & healthy relationship development
- Male Leadership Development Program - Coming Fall 2020!
- Opportunity for family involvement through school wide events, parent support groups, and individualized family engagement opportunities
- Mentorship and Tutoring through our exclusive CIS volunteer program
- Academic & Attendance monitoring for students through monthly checkpoints
- College & Career Exploration
Want to Recommend a Student to Communities In Schools?
We would love to have your student in CIS for the school year! We are utilizing an all-electronic recommendation system for the 2020-2021 school year! Please click here to fill out our recommendation form or scan our QR code from your mobile phone! You can also reach out to me directly via phone or email.
For More Information About Communities In Schools Please Contact
Sara Balkanli MA, LPC-Intern
Program Manager - Akins High School
Phone: 512-640-9351 (remote work number)