Akins GEAR UP Program for Class of 2024
GEAR-UP Program at Akins Early College
Starting the 2020-2021 school year, all Akins Early College High School students in the Class of 2024 will be served by the GEAR UP Program. Any 9th grader in the Class of 2024 is a GEAR UP student. At Akins High School, GEAR UP students will have the following support system:
- Small GEAR UP sections for 12 students for targeted support
- 3 Academic Tutors
- 2 Facilitators/Advisors
What will GEAR UP do?
- The GEAR UP grant is focused on improving student outcomes and readiness for academic success at all levels. The GEAR UP team commits to provide support and/or enhance student support services such as tutoring, mentoring, and counseling/advising. We pledge to reach out to families and community partners to help ensure all students have a strong support system.
- GEAR UP will provide experiential learning opportunities such as college tours, job shadows/job site visits, or educational field trips.
- Furthermore, GEAR UP will help build sustainability by facilitating or providing professional learning avenues for GEAR UP teachers and campuses.
What are GEAR UP’s goals?
National GEAR UP Objectives:
- To increase the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education of participating students;
- To increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in postsecondary education of participating students; and
- To increase educational expectations for participating students and increase student and family knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.
Austin GEAR UP Goals:
- To expand instruction and increase academic opportunities in mathematics, science, and language arts to enable students to complete college level courses without the need for remediation
- To provide access to and enable success in high-quality advanced academic programs in order to reduce the need for course or subject remediation in college
- To provide for professional development of GU Austin personnel in order to assure strong, student-led and personalized instruction in project schools
- To provide a network of strong student support services, including those that improve non-cognitive skills and behaviors and encourage on-time promotion and academic preparation
- To ensure on-time high school completion and straight-t0-college enrollment
- To ensure first-year college retention
- To provide postsecondary information including college fit and readiness level, and additional opportunities
- To build, expand, and leverage community partnerships