ECHS Academy & Application Information
ECHS Associate Principal- Mr. Manuel Garcia, (512) 841-9815
ECHS Coordinator- Mr. Kevin Edwards, (512) 841-9979
ECHS Counselor- Ms. Christine Kesling, (512) 841-9912
The Early College High School program at Akins High School was established in the 2019-2020 school as the school's 7th Academy (school within a school model). It provides an opportunity for students to obtain a two-year transferable college degree while in high school at NO COST to the student or family.
Important Deadlines for 2020-2021
December 2, 2019
Application Submission UPDATED DEADLINE:
Monday, June 15, 2020
Decision Letters Begin to be Mailed
Acceptance Forms Priority Deadline
- Students can earn up to 60 FREE college credits that also satisfy the high school requirements (dual credit).
- Students can earn an Associate of Arts degree and complete all the high school requirements by the time they graduate from Akins High School. YES, a high school diploma and an associate's degree!!
- All credits are guaranteed to transfer to any Texas public 4-year university. Private universities and out-of-state colleges will accept many of the credits as well.
- Students attend college classes during the school day at Akins or at the ACC South Campus. Transportation to classes at ACC South Campus is provided.
- Students can access ACC support services, including college advising, career counseling, and free tutoring. Students can use all ACC facilities and participate in ACC events for free.
- Students receive academic support through a full-time ECHS coordinator, AVID classes, tutoring, and study halls. They are encouraged to take other advanced academic classes, such as Pre-AP, AP, and OnRamps, if it fits in their schedules.
- And best of all...there is NO COST to the student or family for tuition, transportation, or textbooks! It is a $20,000 investment!
- 1st generation college potential (neither custodial parent has received a 4-year degree)
- Belonging to a population that is underrepresented in higher education
- Seeking an accelerated or more rigorous academic experience
The program has one main recruitment period, which is during the Spring semester for students seeking to begin the program in the Fall semester of the following academic year. To apply, students must be in the eighth grade at any middle school within or outside of AISD.
Application Process and Deadlines
- The ECHS application is open to current 8th graders
- Students who do not live in the Akins HS attendance zone will be eligible for a transfer only if they are not slated to attend a high school that already has an ECHS.
- If admitted, students will be required to take the TSI test, and to attend a Summer Bridge Program where they will participate in college readiness activities, college orientation activities, and TSI test preparation if needed. If students meet TSI college readiness scores by the end of the Fall semester, they can begin taking ACC classes in the Spring semester. Parents are also required to attend a parent orientation during the Summer Bridge Program.
- Incoming 9th-grade ECHS students must also participate in the AVID program at Akins. AVID provides support to students enrolled in ACC classes by teaching the study and organizational skills needed for college success.
To apply, ALL students interested in the ECHS Academy program must submit the following:
- Three Programs One-Pager ECHSA 2020-2021
- More information about the Real Estate ECHS Academy Program
- More information about the Teaching ECHS Academy Program
Students interested in attending must complete an enrollment self-interest form, essays, and complete (2) letters of recommendation. Interest and recommendation forms may be downloaded and printed from the website or submitted digitally. Students will be notified of program status (acceptance or reason for denial) by PENDING Board, District, and School-wide decisions. Please wait for further information as our campus adjusts to the Distance Learning caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
For questions, contact: